Friday, June 29, 2012

Being a blessing: Arise and Shine

Greetings from Kenya!

I didn't realize what I was getting myself into with my home stay until I arrived at Sylvia's house.

 

I was kindly greeted by Sylvia' grandfather who was sitting outside waiting for me to arrive as well as her brothers and sisters. Sylvia brought me inside to her main house and seated me at a table in the center of the room surrounded by three chairs. Quickly, I found myself alone in this room as people went off to do their various chores to clean or cook for dinner. Time passed and I continued to find myself alone until Sylvia came in and offered to take me around the area. We toured the house and then the surrounding area. She took me all the way to the local market and back. I was able to greet and talk to many people. These people were all more than willing to listen to me answer their many questions about our life in America.

I struggled to answer the many questions that were asked about the economy, job opportunities, and land in the US. I realized that many of these Kenyan people had these perceptions about how their are so many better opportunities with jobs and land in the US, and I struggled to answer the questions to support these ideas completely. When we arrived back at the main house, I was once again seated alone. But, this time there was a book on the table that I decided to pick up and look at. I looked carefully at it to realize that it was an American Dictionary. Sylvia walked in and recognized what book I was looking at. She quickly told me how her grandfather had been reading it trying to learn more English before my arrival. Finally, I realized how this stay was truly a blessing for this family. It made me aware of just how much my presence meant to them. This made it easier for me to be more comfortable as the night went on even with some of the awkward pauses and struggling conversations. I was served dinner by candlelight along with Sylvia and her uncle, and then we headed off to bed in the girls' hut. I stepped inside to a whole new experience. I slept on the only bed in the room with Sylvia, while her realtives slept on the floor next to us.

The next morning I woke up surrounded by mud walls in the bed I was sleeping in with Sylvia. I remembered quickly that I was living the authentic Kenyan life for the night at Sylvia's hut. I got out of bed and changed quickly to not disturb the other girls sleeping in the hut. Sylvia led me to breakfast in the main house. We sat down together to eat and drink our tea before we headed off on the long treck back to Moding High School. I expressed my grattitude to her grandmother and then we went on our way. After some time had passed on our walk, I realized how long this walk was going to be. We passed by many piki pikis that offered us a ride but seeing as Sylvia is from the tribe that is known for its' Kenyan runners she passed up the offers. Finally after a very long time we reached Moding High School to join the rest of the students.

 

After waiting a little while for everyone to return to school, we all boarded the Moding High School bus to head to Kolanya School to the see the play, An Enemy of The People. We enjoyed the music filled busride with some of the Moding students. Once we arrived dispersed in different ways with various students as we waited for the play to start. The play began late, because we had to wait for several students to arrive. Before the pay began we were dispersed among Moding Students in the front row. Unfotunately, we had to leave the play earlier than expected due to conflicts. Then we all got in the van and headed back to the mission house for the day. Lunch was served when we arrived. Afterwards we all did various things with our free time until dinner was served.


I began the day living the authentic Kenyan lifestyle, which made me realize how grateful I am for the resources I have available at home.

Somer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment