Monday, June 25, 2012

Our First Day in Moding: Arm the Brain to Conquer

Today was a day that was rich of sights, discoveries, new friends, and new challenges. We kick started our day wonderfully: with a flat tire. It turns out that car tires aren't invincible to the wonderful rocky roads of Amagoro, Kenya. That is when we got our first lesson of Kenyan kerosene from Zach. It turns out that if you use the wrong gas station, your car might blow up.

 

Once we reached the gas station (with a flat tire), the bus got all gussied up and ready to go again. We learned to be very patient during this tedious process.

 

After a long a bumpy ride, we finally reached Moding High School. To our surprise, the students of Moding High School had ben waiting for us around the flagpoles. They welcomed us with open arms and wonderful singing (video attached), which really surprised me personally. I have to admit that nobody in America would be that welcoming.

 

We introduced ourselves and then got paired up with partners. My partner was a form one (9th grade) girl named Ruby. I learned about her family and her hobbies, which included leg ball (soccer) and table tennis; two things in which I love too. It is crazy that even halfway around the world, people can still be so similar. She took me to get tea (which was a hot version of sweet tea!) and we went to her class, in which I was asked multiple questions about the US and about math equations. They circled me and absorbed every little thing I told them.

 

Afterward, we went on a surprisingly long and slow hike to the Lwahaha river that bordered Uganda. I learned all about the kids I hiked with; they want to be doctors, lawyers, musicians; they listen to Rihanna! It made me want to wave a magic wand and make all of their wishes come true. We all got a laugh when we saw this little boy waving a machete across the river. The hike back killed me. It was hot, tiring, and dry, but I feel accomplished now that we persevered.

 

After hiking, it was back to the classroom, in which I continued my math equations and answers about America. Not once did a teacher show up, which was very shocking. Lunch time came after, and the 2012 Kenya group got our first taste of ugali! It is similar to mashed potatoes, but drier. Personally, I didn't like it and I could not see how Crawford Horan found it tasty.

 

Game time came after, which included an intense EHS vs. Moding volleyball game. EHS pulled through with a victory, but this will probably be our only win with the intense USA- Kenya soccer match coming up. I am preparing myself for a beating! We were all relieved to arrive back at the mission house. We are now all prepared for the upcoming cultural exchange tomorrow! All we need now is a good night's rest (with our mosquito nets!).

 

Stay tuned for more tomorrow! -- C. Haley

 

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing experience you all are having to be greeted by the Moding students with singing and open arms. Loved seeing the video!

    The Agnews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really had fun during that time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,welcome again and again#MODINGHIGHSCHOOL.

    ReplyDelete